Matt Smith’s a busy guy right now. Not only did Terminator Genisys just hit theaters, but he also had two films in Hall H during San Diego Comic-Con this year, Patient Zero and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. We actually touched on all three and Doctor Who during my my one-on-one interview, but the focus was PPZ. The film is based on the Seth Grahame-Smith novel of the same name which puts a unique spin on the Jane Austen classic, Pride and Prejudice. It’s the same characters, period and location, but in Grahame-Smith’s version, the English countryside is in the middle of a zombie outbreak and the Bennet sisters are skilled zombie slayers. Smith’s Mr. Collins, on the other hand, would rather flaunt his wealth and connections rather than get his hands dirty.
During our interview, we discussed how Smith’s version of Collins differs from what we get in the book, how Collins is the main source of comedic relief in the film, whether or not Smith shot any material for Terminator Genisys that didn’t make it into the final cut of the film, Smith’s thoughts on Peter Capaldi’s work in Doctor Who and loads more. You can check it all out in the video interview below and, in case you missed it, click here to see the full version of the PPZ edition of “Would You Rather” with Smith, Lily James and Jack Huston. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies hits theaters on February 5th, 2016.
- 00:05 – Smith plays “Would You Rather.”
- 01:38 – Smith on his reaction when he heard he was wanted for Collins.
- 02:06 – Lily James joins the interview to play “Would You Rather.”
- 03:47 – Could Mr. Collins survive a Walking Dead-style zombie apocalypse?
- 04:19 – Would Smith rather face the zombie apocalypse in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or the virus in Patient Zero?
- 04:40 – The unique approach to the zombie transition.
- 05:06 – Collins’ unusual vocabulary; Smith on getting the opportunity to improvise.
- 05:26 – On the cast becoming close friends.
- 05:57 – The members of the cast that Smith didn’t get to work with much.
- 06:24 – Collins as the comedic relief in the film.
- 07:08 – There’s no zombie-fighting for Collins, but he does talk about baking.
- 07:31 – Smith’s dream of making Collins in love with Darcy; he’s also a bad dancer.
- 08:14 – Smith on his small role in Terminator Genisys; did he shoot anything that didn’t make the final cut?
- 09:08 – Smith’s thoughts on Peter Capaldi’s work in Doctor Who.
- 09:41 – If he could go on the convention center floor dressed up as anything he’d like, what would he pick?