As though getting past the Grievers and out of the maze wasn’t tough enough, now Thomas (Dylan O’Brien), Minho (Ki Hong Lee), Newt (Thomas Brodie-Sangster) and the rest of the surviving Gladers have to make their way through the Scorch. In Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, the group comes to learn that the world has been ravaged by solar flares as well as the outbreak of a virus that turns victims into bloodthirsty monsters called Cranks.
While at San Diego Comic-Con promoting the film’s upcoming September 18th release, I got the opportunity to sit down with O’Brien, Lee and Brodie-Sangster to play a quick round of “Would You Rather” and talk about the movie. Check out what they had to say about making changes to the source material, working with director Wes Ball, a particular shot that they had to nail in one take and more in the video interview below. And, in case you missed it, click here for the full Maze Runner “Would You Rather” video and here for my thoughts on the first 30 minutes of the film.
Ki Hong Lee, Thomas Brodie-Sangster & Dylan O’Brien:
- 00:05 – The guys play “Would You Rather.”
- 02:24 – Working with Wes Ball and the shorthand they developed.
- 03:41 – Their initial reaction to the script; rearranging the sequence of events from the books.
- 04:58 – On the friendship between Thomas, Minho and Newt, and how it changes in the second film.
- 05:38 – Do they know what the Cranks look like?
- 06:09 – On not including telepathy in the movies.
- 06:48 – Running over and over and over again; Ball does a lot of takes.
- 07:31 – Was there an instance when Ball couldn’t do a lot of takes and had to nail something in one?
- 08:10 – If they could go on the convention center floor dressed as anything they’d like, what would they choose?