The first trailer for writer-director Ari Aster‘s upcoming feature film Midsommar is here, and it’s a doozy. If you’re a fan of Herditary, or have become a cult devotee of the 2018 horror hit, some of these beats should be familiar to you: There’s the creepy, rhythmic music; the abrupt editing style that cuts from one rich and colorful scene to the next; and the suffusion of pagan mythology that permeates the whole thing. We don’t get a great sense of the characters here, either those arriving to the special, once-every-nine-years event, or those who are apparently regulars at the Midsommar festival, but we do get strong confirmation that Aster’s aesthetic is back in full force.
Starring Floresnce Pugh (who you can also see on the big screen in the fantastic family sports drama Fighting with My Family), Jack Reynor, William Jackson Harper, Vilhelm Blomgran, Archie Madekwe, Ellora Torchia, and Will Poulter, Aster’s A24 release Midsommar arrives this
sommar summer. (Stay tuned for an official release date announcement, though A24’s site currently says August 3rd.) Be sure to dress appropriately and get your entire theater to sing Sumer Is Icumen In before the opening credits roll.
Take in the first trailer for Midsommar below:
THIS SUMMER, LET THE FESTIVITIES BEGIN. From writer/director Ari Aster and starring Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, William Jackson Harper, and Will Poulter. MIDSOMMAR — In Theaters Summer 2019.
For more on Midsommar and Aster’s previous film Hereditary, be sure to get caught up with our coverage linked below:
- First Poster for ‘Hereditary’ Director Ari Aster’s New Film ‘Midsommar’ Is Bright and Colorful
- A24 Sets ‘Hereditary’ Director Ari Aster’s New Horror Movie for Next Summer
- Exclusive ‘Hereditary’ Deleted Scene Teases Some Gut-Wrenching Foreshadowing
- ‘Hereditary’ Spoiler Review: Shocking, Stunning Horror Cinema You Just Can’t Shake
- Ari Aster on ‘Hereditary’ and the 3-Hour Cut We Might Never See