A few days ago I landed an exclusive video interview with Mila Kunis to talk about her work in the Wachowski‘s newest film, Jupiter Ascending. As you’ve seen in the trailers, the story centers on Jupiter Jones (Kunis), a Russian immigrant who scrubs toilets for a living until she discovers she has the genetic signature that makes her next in line to be Queen of the Universe. Channing Tatum plays a genetically engineered ex-military hunter tasked with tracking her down. The film also stars Sean Bean, Eddie Redmayne, Douglas Booth, Tuppence Middleton, James D’Arcy, Tim Pigott-Smith, and Doona Bae. As you can imagine, the film is loaded with incredible action and insane visual effects.
During the interview, she talked about being part of a big sci-fi spectacle with a female protagonist, how she landed the role, her reaction to reading the script for the first time, the insane stunts, geeking out with the Wachowskis, if she “borrowed” anything from set, the incredible costumes and production design, Family Guy, and more.
As usual, I’ve listed what we talked about to provide an overview of the conversation.
- How it’s a big sci-fi spectacle with a female protagonist.
- Talks about how she read the script at WB (it was 300 pages) and how she landed the role.
- The insane stunts they had to do.
- What was it like geeking out with the Wachowskis in between filming?
- Costumes and production design talk.
- Did she “borrow” anything from set?
- Family Guy talk.