With Disney’s Mulan available for purchase on Disney+ tomorrow, I recently landed an extended interview with producer Jason Reed. During the wide-ranging conversation, he talked about what it was like producing Mulan after being a production executive at Disney, how early on they decided not to include songs, what they learned from test screenings, deleted scenes, his thoughts on Mulan premiering on Disney+, the way director Niki Caro refocused the script to make sure it was through the eyes of Mulan, and a lot more. If you’re interested in the behind-the-scenes of the making of Mulan, you’ll learn a lot watching him talk.
As most of you know, the film is about a young woman who takes her father’s place in the Chinese army by posing as a man when the nation faces a looming foreign threat. Mulan stars Liu Yifei as Mulan, Donnie Yen, Jet Li, Gong Li, Jason Scott Lee, Yoson An, Tzi Ma, and Rosalind Chao.
Check out what Jason Reed had to say and further down the page is exactly what we talked about followed by the official synopsis.
- What was it like producing Mulan after being an executive at Disney trying to get movies made?
- How long did it take to get Mulan made?
- How early on did they knew it wouldn’t include songs?
- Was the script ever dramatically different than the finished version?
- How Niki Caro refocused the script to make sure it was through the eyes of Mulan.
- What was it like test screening Mulan and did they learn from them?
- What did they change as a result of the test screenings?
- How long was the first cut compared to the finished film?
- Why he was once told by a producer to never let the editor on set.
- What was the last thing they removed from the movie before picture lock and why?
- Are they going to release deleted scenes?
- What are his thoughts about Mulan premiering on Disney+ and asking the audience to pay $29.99 to own it first?
Here’s the official synopsis for Mulan:
Acclaimed filmmaker Niki Caro brings the epic tale of China’s legendary warrior to life in Disney’s “Mulan,” in which a fearless young woman risks everything out of love for her family and her country to become one of the greatest warriors China has ever known. When the Emperor of China issues a decree that one man per family must serve in the Imperial Army to defend the country from Northern invaders, Hua Mulan, the eldest daughter of an honored warrior, steps in to take the place of her ailing father. Masquerading as a man, Hua Jun, she is tested every step of the way and must harness her inner-strength and embrace her true potential. It is an epic journey that will transform her into an honored warrior and earn her the respect of a grateful nation…and a proud father.