Opening in theaters this week is Raja Gosnell’s Smurfs 2. The film picks up three years after the first installment when Gargamel (Hank Azaria), now a successful Paris-based stage magician, devises a plan to become the most powerful wizard on earth by kidnapping Smurfette (Katy Perry) and stealing her Smurf-essence. When the little blue guys team up to rescue Smurfette they turn to old friends Patrick (Neil Patrick Harris) and Grace (Jayma Mays) for help, and set off to Paris for an adventure that has a surprisingly genuine message about identity and the meaning of family. Smurfs 2 also stars Brendan Gleeson, Christina Ricci, Jonathan Winters, Anton Yelchin, George Lopez, and John Oliver.
At the recent Las Vegas press day I sat down for a video interview with Harris and Mays. They talked about shooting in Paris, the film’s message, working with Brendan Gleeson, the fun they have on set, and playing parents. Additionally, Harris commented on the final season of How I Met Your Mother. Hit the jump to watch.
Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays:
- How was it shooting in Paris
- How the film has a strong message of family
- What was it like working with Brendan Gleeson
- How much fun do they have on set filming
- What was it like playing parents in the sequel
- Harris talks about the final season of How I Met Your Mother and the very unique way they’re telling the story