Over the past few years, Paul Dano has established himself as one of the best actors of his generation and someone that can morph into any role. While most people will immediately remember his work in Paul Thomas Anderson’s There Will Be Blood and Little Miss Sunshine, he’s also great in Denis Villeneuve’s Prisoners, Steve McQueen’s 12 Years a Slave, Kelly Reichardt’s Meek’s Cutoff, Paul Weitz’s Being Flynn (opposite Robert De Niro), Ruby Sparks, Looper, Love & Mercy, and many more. With his latest film, director Paolo Sorrentino’s new drama Youth now playing in limited release, I recently landed an exclusive video interview with the gifted actor.
During our wide-ranging conversation, he talked about his most memorable days from filming Youth (including hanging out with Michael Caine), what it’s been like working with the best filmmakers in the industry over the last few years, the way he prepares for a role, getting the opportunity to work with Bong Joon-Ho on Okja, his experience working on the BBC adaptation of War and Peace, and more. In addition, I even got him to play “Save or Kill”, which is how we started the interview. Check it out below. You can also watch the Youth trailer by clicking here.
- Plays “Save or Kill”
- Talks about his most memorable days from filming Youth, including hanging out with Michael Caine.
- What has it been like working with the best filmmakers in the industry over the last few years?
- What has changed about the way he prepares for a role after all that experience?
- Talks about exploring the physicality of different characters.
- Talks about getting the opportunity to work with Bong Joon-Ho on Okja.
- Recalls his experience working on the BBC adaptation of War and Peace.
- What projects are coming up next?
- Says Denis Villeneuve is going to “crush it” on Blade Runner 2.