When I first emailed Disney about who I’d like to speak with at the Tomorrowland press junket, I’ll admit Raffey Casidy was not on the list. While I knew she was going to be promoting the film at the Los Angeles press day, I didn’t think I needed to speak with her, but it turns out I was wrong. While I don’t want to reveal too much about her character Athena, I will say Raffey Casidy absolutely steals her scenes and I forgot I was watching a kid actor. I have no doubt that after casting directors and other filmmakers see Tomorrowland, she’s going to land a number of other projects.
During the interview Casidy talked about preparing for the role, memorable moment from filming, when shew first knew she wanted to be an actor, the challenges of keeping the film’s secrets, if the script changed a lot during production, what it was like working with Britt Robertson and George Clooney, how she wants a pet wolf, and a lot more.
As most of you know, Brad Bird‘s Tomorrowland stars George Clooney as Frank, a disillusioned boy-genius who teams up with Casey (Robertson), a curious and optimistic scientifically-inclined teenager, to discover the secrets of the enigmatic place known as “Tomorrowland”. The film also stars Hugh Laurie, Tim McGraw, Judy Greer, Kathryn Hahn, Keegan-Michael Key, and Thomas Robinson. The film was written by Damon Lindelof and Brad Bird, from a story by Lindelof & Bird & Jeff Jensen.
Raffey Casidy Time Index:
- :20 – What’s popular with 12-year-old girls right now?
- 1:13 – How did she prepare for the role?
- 1:50 – Reveals one of Clooney’s on-set pranks.
- 2:50 – Most memorable moment from filming.
- 3:25 – Did she take anything home from set?
- 4:00 – When did she first know she wanted to be an actor?
- 4:30 – Talks about the audition process to land the role.
- 5:10 – What was she most looking forward to filming?
- 5:50 – Keeping the film’s secrets.
- 6:50 – Did a lot of the script change along the way?
- 7:16 – What would she change about the future?
- 8:25 – Working with Britt Robertson.
- 8:48 – Reveals her favorite movie is Hanna. Talks about her favorite TV show.
- 9:20 – What movies are she looking forward to seeing this summer?
- 10:00 – Does she want a pet? Says she wants a wolf.