A personal favorite component of many of the Star Wars films is the abundance of practical creature work – droids included. Anthony Daniels has been playing everyone’s favorite etiquette and protocol droid, C-3PO, since the franchise began with A New Hope back in 1977 and Joonas Suotamo had the honor of sharing the role of Chewbacca with the late, great Peter Mayhew in The Force Awakens before taking over in full for The Last Jedi, Solo: A Star Wars Story and now Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
With the new film celebrating its global release on December 20th, I recently had the chance to sit down with Daniels and Suotamo to talk about working on The Rise of Skywalker and also about the great value of a creature actor. Find out what advice the pair would give to aspiring creature performers in the video interview at the top of this article. They also weigh in on Baby Yoda, highlight some Rise of Skywalker unsung heroes and reveal the Star Wars character they’d most like to role-swap with.
The release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is upon us, but if you’re looking for more Rise of Skywalker content right now, we’ve got a lot of options for you. You can watch our full chat with director J.J. Abrams right here. There’s also a brief conversation with Daisy Ridley over here and one with Adam Driver here. And if you enjoy that role-swap question in the Daniels and Suotamo interview above, click here to watch a compilation of the whole Rise of Skywalker ensemble sharing their thoughts on the topic.
Anthony Daniels and Joonas Suotamo:
- If they could swap roles with anyone in the Star Wars film franchise, who would they pick and why?
- Daniels and Suotamo share advice for those looking to start a career in creature acting.
- If they could witness “Baby Yoda’s first something,” what would it be and how would it go down?
- For a good deal of the last eight movies C-3PO has been picked on quite a bit. What was Daniels’ first reaction when he read the script and saw that that was finally changing?
- Who is the unsung hero of The Rise of Skywalker?