With the new series, No Good Nick, now streaming on Netflix, I got to conduct an extended interview with an actor whose work I’ve admired almost my entire life: Sean Astin. During the wide-ranging interview, Astin talked about how he was able to make the transition from child star to adult actor, what drew him to the series No Good Nick, how Netflix is bending the multi-cam format with the show, what surprised him about the making of a sitcom, the unconventional storyline for the series, what it was like taking a master class from the great acting master Stella Adler, if he enjoys attending the various comic-cons around the country, how he ended up guest-starring on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, how nerd culture has changed because of The Big Bang Theory, what it was like being part of being part of Stranger Things Season 2, how he and Corey Feldman pitched Richard Donner on a Goonies sequel, if he thinks a sequel will ever happen, and so much more it’s impossible to list it all here.
If you’re unfamiliar with No Good Nick, the series is about a family whose lives are turned upside down when a young, street-smart grifter shows up on their doorstep, claiming to be a distant relative. As the show unfolds, you learn more about why she showed up and the other players involved. The series also stars Siena Agudong, Lauren Lindsey Dondis, Kalama Epstein, and Melissa Joan Hart.
Check out what Astin had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about followed by the No Good Nick trailer.
- Talks about making the transition from child star to adult actor.
- Talks about working with the great acting master Stella Adler.
- Why was he drawn to his new Netflix series No Good Nick?
- Talks about his family’s history working in sitcom television.
- Talks about how Netflix is bending the multi-cam format with No Good Nick.
- Details the unconventional storyline for the sitcom series.
- Did they give him an overview of where the series is going long-term?
- What surprised him about the making of a sitcom?
When was the last time he had to pay for a drink?
- Does he enjoy going to conventions?
- Talks about being on Big Bang Theory and how nerd culture has changed.
- Talks about how he ended up guest-starring on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- How did he break into voice acting and build such an extensive resume?
- Talks about being part of the sensation surrounding Stranger Things.
- Does he think a Goonies sequel will ever actually happen?
- Talks about the three-act treatment he and Corey Feldman pitched to Richard Donner for a Goonies sequel.
- How often does he go to the Notre Dame area?
- Talks about the political landscape in 2019.
- What TV show would he like to guest star on?
- What TV show has he watched all the way through more than once?
- Talks about how watching TV is a bonding experience for his family.