With Amazon Studios and STX Films dark comedy Gringo now playing in theaters, I recently sat down with Sharlto Copley for an exclusive video interview. During our wide-ranging conversation he talked about how the project came together, why his favorite thing in Gringo was David Oyelowo playing a Nigerian immigrant, the reason he likes to do something different on every take, and a lot more. In addition, he shares some fun stories about the making of Free Fire, why the crazy tank sequence in Joe Carnahan’s The A-Team might be technically possible, and how he’s about to play Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber) in director Tony Stone’s (Peter and the Farm) independent movie Ted K.
If you aren’t familiar with Gringo, directed by Nash Edgerton, the film is scripted by Anthony Tambakis and Matthew Stone and stars David Oyelowo as a mild-mannered American businessman facing crushing debt who ventures to Mexico to hand-deliver a formula for a revolutionary new weed pill. But along the way, he tangles with volatile business partners, Mexican drug lords, mercenaries, and the DEA, all while trying to keep his cool. Charlize Theron and Joel Edgerton co-star in the film as the heads of the business that is running the operation, and Theron absolutely delights in delivering filthy and politically incorrect dialogue with glee. Gringo also stars Amanda Seyfried, Yul Vazquez, Thandie Newton, and Sharlto Copley.
Check out what Sharlto Copley had to say in the player above and a list of what we talked about below.
- How much fun did he have making Freefire? Shares some fun stories.
- How did he get involved in Gringo?
- What did he bring to his Gringo character?
- Talks about his favorite thing in Gringo which is David Oyelowo playing a Nigerian immigrant.
What were his favorite parts of the Gringo script?
- How he likes to do something different on every take but it depends on the actor he’s working with.
- How does he like to work on set and the amount of takes he likes to do?
- What’s the most takes he’s ever done?
- We talk about The A-Team and how there is a website that does the physics from movies and they did the math on the tank sequence and they say it’s technically possible.
- What does he remember from making A-Team? Shares a fun story about sleeping in his trailer on set.
- What’s coming up for him? Talks about his love of satire and how he’s about to writer/direct and star in a film. Also talks about how he’s playing Ted Kaczynski which is why he has the beard. Tony Stone is directing (Peter and the Farm), the title is Ted K and they’re filming during a few seasons on location.