While at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival I landed an extended video interview with Simon Kinberg. While I previously posted some of the conversation, it’s finally time for the entire interview. As you can watch below, Kinberg talks about how quickly the movie came together, landing Matt Damon, working with Ridley Scott and moving the movie’s release date up, Drew Goddard‘s script, his relationship with 20th Century Fox, his reaction to seeing the rough cut of Deadpool, the sequel possibly having Cable, X-Men: Apocalypse and feeling the pressure of living up to the last two movies, and more.
Loaded with amazing visuals, a brilliant script by Drew Goddard, great performances from the entire cast, and science that makes sense, Ridley Scott’s The Martian is one of those special movies that needs to be seen on the biggest movie screen, in the loudest theater possible. While I saw a lot of movies at the Toronto International Film Festival, The Martian was one of my favorites. For more read Matt’s review.
Based on Andy Weir‘s best-selling novel of the same name, the film stars Matt Damon as Mark Wattney, an astronaut stranded alone on mars in the aftermath of a disastrous evacuation. With only the remaining supplies, his scientific genius and a great sense of humor to subsist on, Wattney must find a “science the shit out of this” to survive on the red planet and find a way home. The Martian also stars Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Kate Mara, Michael Pena, Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Donald Glover.
Here’s what Simon Kinberg had to say:
- :09 – Tells the crazy story of how quickly the movie came together, and his reaction to reading Drew Goddard’s first draft.
- 1:15 – How did they get Matt Damon onboard?
- 2:17 – Talks about Drew having to leave the movie as director when the Sinister Six release date was moved up.
- 3:33 – Working with Ridley Scott and moving the movie’s release date up. Talks about how he believes there’s something about the spirit of the book.
- 4:57 – When will Drew direct something again?
- 5:55 – What’s it like to be involved with so many big projects at Fox? Discusses his relationship with the studio.
- 7:35 – His reaction to the rough cut of Deadpool.
- 9:02 – Deadpool 2 Cable?
- 10:35 – Talks about X-Men: Apocalypse and feeling the pressure of living up to the last two movies.