Along with Francisco Gonzalez’s excellent weekly news recaps–This Week in Superhero News and This Week in Movie Trailers–we’re happy to provide you with This Week in Animation News to get you caught up on all things animated you might have missed over the past seven days. It’s your one-stop shop for news regarding cartoons, anime, and animated web series. We’re talking movies, TV shows, digital shorts, and everything in between!
New stories include music videos from the new animated release Sing and Disney’s wildly successful Moana, plus a new trailer for Studio Ghibli’s Princess Mononoke, which is going to enjoy a theatrical re-release early in 2017. We’ve also got the first trailer for Rock Dog (if that’s a thing that interests you), which stars Luke Wilson, Eddie Izzard, and J.K. Simmons among other notable voice talents. Speaking of voice acting, Elizabeth Banks is also set to lend her own voice to an animated alien in the virtual-reality short Asteroids!, which will be debuting at Sundance.
For the latest animation stories we’ve already covered on the site this week, take a look at the following links. Then, check out a selection of new stories below. Be sure to let us know your thoughts in the comments!
- ‘Naruto’ Creator Masashi Kishimoto Lends a Hand to the Live-Action Movie
- Watch: Wes Anderson Reveals Title, Full Cast, and First Footage for New Stop-Motion Animated Film
- Watch: Forest Whitaker Returns to Voice Saw Gerrera in New ‘Star Wars Rebels’ Clip
- ‘The Emoji Movie’ Trailer Literally Gets Promoted by “Meh”
- ‘The LEGO Batman Movie’ Character Posters Highlight the Dark Knight, Boy Wonder, & More
- The Best Animated Movies on Netflix Right Now (December 2016)
- ‘Star Wars: Rebels’ EP Dave Filoni Considering Retelling ‘Rogue One’ Storyline in TV Series
- ‘Trollhunters’ EP Marc Guggenheim on Netflix’s Monstrous, Magical New Series
- ‘Trollhunters’: Netflix’s New Animated Series Is a Must-Watch for Guillermo del Toro Fans