While next year will mark the 40th anniversary of Star Wars’ release, we won’t have to wait that long to see the original trilogy films back on the big screen. The good folks over at the Alamo Drafthouse are doing a nationwide roadshow to bring Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and Star Wars: Return of the Jedi back to the big screen. Most places that show the trilogy will show it “back-to-back-to-back as one galactic-sized triple feature.
Now before you get too excited, you should know that these are the 1997 “special editions”, so those who were hoping to see a version where Han shoots first will just have to wait until Disney, Lucasfilm, and 20th Century Fox can work out the legal complications on the films. However, something is better than nothing, and if you live in one of the cities doing these screenings, it would be a good day out to see them all together.
Check out the full press release below, which includes a list of the participating cities. Tickets for most markets will go on sale at ReturnOfTheTrilogy.com on May 4th, otherwise known as Star Wars Day: May the 4th Be With You.
ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE BRINGS ORIGINAL
STAR WARS TRILOGY TO CITIES
ACROSS THE COUNTRY THIS SUMMER
“Return of the Trilogy” roadshow program will take audiences back to a galaxy far, far away with triple-feature screenings at more than twenty locations nationwide
Austin, TX – Tuesday, April 12, 2016 – Alamo Drafthouse is so excited they could pull the ears off a gundark to announce they’ll be bringing the original STAR WARS trilogy to cities across the country this August with its epic “Return of the Trilogy” roadshow program.
EPISODE IV – A NEW HOPE, EPISODE V – THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, and EPISODE VI – RETURN OF THE JEDI have long been out of release, locked up tight in the vaults. Now, an ultra rare opportunity will bring these beloved original classics of the STAR WARS universe roaring across the big screen at movie palaces and performing arts venues from coast to coast.
Not only that, most will screen back-to-back-to-back as one galactic-sized triple feature – taking audiences from Luke’s humble beginnings on Tattooine all the way through to the final climactic battle between the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire in a single sitting. The Force, as they say, will be strong with us.
“It’s always been a dream to show the original STAR WARS trilogy again – somehow, someway,” says Alamo Drafthouse’s VP of Special Events, Henri Mazza. “Seeing the original trilogy on the big screen for the first time is a real life-altering event and just a supreme amount of fun. When the films became available to book for screenings like these, we jumped at the chance to do something big.”
While many dates and locations are still to be announced, “Return of the Trilogy” screenings will take place at venues in over 20 cities throughout the month of August. All three of the films will be presented in their 1997 re-release format. Tickets for most markets will go on sale at ReturnOfTheTrilogy.com on May 4th, otherwise known as Star Wars Day: May the 4th Be With You.
More than just an epic triple-feature, each “Return of the Trilogy” show will be in its own unique celebratory event, featuring specially curated video content before and between films, contests, props to bring the power of the Force to life, and other special surprises. And coming dressed as your favorite Jedi, scoundrel pilot, or rebel scum will be very much encouraged.
THE RETURN OF THE TRILOGY Roadshow
- August 6 – San Francisco, CA / The Warfield
- August 6 – Kansas City, MO / The Midland Theatre
- August 6 – Washington, D.C. / Warner Theatre
- August 6 – Los Angeles, CA / The Theatre at the Ace Hotel
- August 6 – New York, NY / The Town Hall
- August 6 – Miami, FL / Olympia Theatre
- August 6 – San Antonio, TX Majestic Theatre
- August 7 – New York, NY / Kings Theatre
- August 7 – Dallas, TX / Majestic Theatre
- August 11 – Austin, TX / The Long Center for the Performing Arts (Ep. 4-A New Hope)
- August 12 – Austin, TX / The Long Center for the Performing Arts (Ep. 5-The Empire Strikes Back)
- August 13 – Austin, TX / The Long Center for the Performing Arts (Ep. 6-Return of the Jedi)
- August 13 – Philadelphia, PA / The Keswick Theatre
- August 13 – Louisville, KY / Brown Theatre
- August 20 – Oakland, CA / Paramount Theatre
- August 27 – Boston, MA / The Boston Opera House
- Date TBD – Houston, TX / Venue TBD
- Date TBD – Denver, CO / Venue TBD
- *Additional Dates / Locations To Be Announced