It was a pretty safe bet that Star Wars: The Force Awakens would be breaking a fair amount of box office records, so as expected, the Disney/Lucasfilm came out swinging. Posting an estimated $57 million from Thursday evening previews, J.J. Abrams’ highly anticipated movie crushed the previous record holder of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, which tallied $43.5 million on its 2011 Thursday opening night. Impressive, but likely only a taste of what’s to come at the box office this weekend, and as the film continues to roll out over the next few weeks.
The seventh installment in the franchise originally envisioned by George Lucas had already broken records during the pre-sale period, but it’ll be a while before the true financial performance of the film is able to be fully analyzed. So far, 47% of Thursday’s screenings were in 3D, with IMAX accounting for $5.7 million, nearly doubling the previous record of $3 million. Relatedly, the film is enjoying a record-setting domestic theatrical release for the month of December, playing in 4,134 theaters this weekend, a fact which doesn’t make Quentin Tarantino too happy.
Here’s a look at some other record-setting performances for Star Wars: The Force Awakens from around the world:
- Biggest single day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Norway and Sweden
- Biggest opening day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking), Austria, Ukraine, Slovakia, Croatia, Iceland, Serbia, Chile, Peru
- Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Denmark, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkey
- Biggest December opening day in France, Italy, Mexico, Argentina, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore
- IMAX records set in UK/Ireland, Australia, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Austria, Turkey, Portugal, Qatar, UAE, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, New Zealand, Chile, Costa Rica, Trinidad
In addition to its North American debut, Star Wars: The Force Awakens will open today in Japan and Spain for a day-and-date release across all territories except Greece and India, which open December 24, and China, which opens on January 9th. Expect more record-breaking numbers in the weeks to come.
In the meantime, get caught up on all of our Star Wars: The Force Awakens coverage by perusing some of our recent stories provided at the links below:
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: What Did You Think?
- So, About That Daniel Craig Cameo in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Rumor…
- Oscar Isaac on ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’, His Best and Worst Day on Set, and More
- Watch: The Top 10 Deleted Scenes from the ‘Star Wars’ Original Trilogy
- Daisy Ridley on ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’, Deleted Scenes, and Whether Han Shot First
- Everything You Need to Know about ‘Star Wars: Episode VI’ in under 5 Minutes