If you’re a collector of limited-edition Blu-rays, today’s your lucky day! Sony Pictures Home Entertainment recently teamed up with Gallery 1988 for “Project Pop Art” to re-release sixteen cult classic films on Blu-ray in SteelBook Packaging. The collection features innovative art work from up-and-coming artists and designers that commemorate the selection of iconic films. The collection is currently on sale exclusively at Best Buy, but we here at Collider have been provided with prize packs to give away to a few lucky readers. The grand prize winner will receive a set of all sixteen mini posters and a Blu-ray SteelBook copy of Superbad, while three runners up will also receive a full set of mini posters. Find out how you can enter after the jump
This giveaway will be open until December 14th at noon PST and is only open to residents of the United States. Also, only one entry per person. Once the giveaway ends we’ll randomly pick some winners.
1 Grand Prize Winner
-1 Blu-ray SteelBook copy of Superbad
-1 set of all 16 mini posters (Das Boot, District 9, Drive, Dr. Strangelove, Easy Rider, The Fifth Element, The Karate Kid, Kung Fu Hustle, Leon: The Professional, The Raid: Redemption, Snatch, Stripes, Superbad, Taxi Driver, Tommy).
-1 set of all 16 mini posters
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) is teaming up with Gallery 1988 to launch “Project Pop Art,” a collection of 16 cult classic films re-released on Blu-ray in SteelBook packaging, featuring innovative and unique artwork by top emerging artists and designers. The collection commemorates popular and iconic films, including Superbad, Desperado, Taxi Driver, District 9, The Fifth Element, and more. The titles will be available exclusively at Best Buy beginning Nov. 23 for a limited time only, and each title is available separately for pre-order starting today.
“Project Pop Art” films and artists include:
- DAS BOOT – Directed by Wolfgang Petersen, the critically acclaimed 1981film is set aboard the claustrophobic world of a WWII German U-boat as the crew fights boredom, filth, and sheer terror. Illustration by Kevin Dart, an art director living in Los Angeles. www.kevindart.tumblr.com
- DESPERADO – Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek star in this 1995 cult classic directed by Robert Rodriguez about a gunslinger who is embroiled in a war with a local drug runner. Illustration by Scott Derby, a Philadelphia-based illustrator who is heavily influenced by pop culture. www.Scottderby.blogspot.com
- DISTRICT 9 – From producer Peter Jackson and director Neill Blomkamp comes a startlingly original science-fiction thriller where alien refugees, stranded on Earth, are exiled to a slum on the fringes of Johannesburg. Illustration by Dave Quiggle, a Southern California illustrator who is well known for his work within the music industry and pop culture work for Disney. www.davequiggle.com
- DRIVE – A Hollywood stunt performer (Ryan Gosling) who moonlights as a wheelman discovers that a contract has been put on him after a heist gone wrong. Illustration by Jeff Boyes, a Canadian illustrator, screenprint artist and graphic designer based in Vancouver. www.visualtechnicians.com
- LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL – A professional assassin rescues a young girl whose family was killed in a police raid, in this thriller directed by Luc Besson that stars Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and Natalie Portman. Illustration by Jeff Boyes, a Canadian illustrator, screenprint artist and graphic designer based in Vancouver. www.visualtechnicians.com
- DR. STRANGELOVE – Peter Sellers, George C. Scott and Sterling Hayden star in the 1964 classic directed by Stanley Kubrick about an insane general who triggers a path to nuclear holocaust that a war room full of politicians and generals frantically tries to stop. Illustration by Rich Kelly an illustrator working in Pittsburgh. www.rfkelly.com
- EASY RIDER – Two counterculture bikers travel from Los Angeles to New Orleans in search of America in this adventure starring Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson; directed by Hopper. Illustration by DKNG Studios: Dan Kuhlken and Nathan Goldman. www.dkngstudios.com
- THE FIFTH ELEMENT – Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, and Gary Oldman star in acclaimed director Luc Besson’s outrageous sci-fi adventure, an extravagantly styled tale of good against evil set in an unbelievable twenty-third century world. Illustration by Dan Mumford, an illustrator and designer working out of London, England. www.dan-mumford.com
- THE KARATE KID – Ralph Macchio, Pat Morita and Elizabeth Shue star in this story about a handyman/martial arts master who agrees to teach a bullied boy karate and show him that there is more to the martial art than fighting. Illustration by Sam Gilbey, whose distinctive and contemporary illustrations and portraits are painted by hand and are inspired by a lifelong passion for popular culture. www.samgilbeyillustrates.com
- KUNG FU HUSTLE – This hilarious movie is set in Shanghai, China in the 1940s, where a wannabe gangster aspires to join the notorious “Axe Gang” while residents of a housing complex exhibit extraordinary powers in defending their turf. Illustration by Anthony Petrie, a commercial artist and product designer living in NYC. www.anthonypetrie.com
- SNATCH – Unscrupulous boxing promoters, violent bookmakers, a Russian gangster, incompetent amateur robbers, and supposedly Jewish jewelers fight to track down a priceless stolen diamond, in this actioner directed by Guy Ritchie and starring Brad Pitt, Jason Statham, Benicio Del Toro and Dennis Farina. Illustration by Anthony Petrie, a commercial artist and product designer living in NYC. www.anthonypetrie.com
- THE RAID: REDEMPTION – A S.W.A.T. team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs in this blood-drenched action picture directed by Gareth Evans. Illustration by Phantom City Creative, Inc., a creative agency based in Toronto. www.phantomcitycreative.com
- STRIPES – Directed by Ivan Reitman, this cult classic about two friends who are dissatisfied with their jobs and decide to join the army for a bit of fun, stars Bill Murray and Harold Ramis. Illustration by Chris DeLorenzo, a young graphic artist and illustrator working out of Boston. www.chrisdelorenzo.com
- SUPERBAD – Greg Mottola directs Michael Cera, Jonah Hill and Christopher Mintz-Plasse in his modern classic about two co-dependent high school seniors who are forced to deal with separation anxiety after their plan to stage a booze-soaked party goes awry. Illustration by Joey Spiotto, a Los Angeles-based illustrator. www.jo3bot.com
- TAXI DRIVER – Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster star in this highly regarded classic from director Martin Scorsese about a mentally unstable Vietnam War veteran who works as a night-time taxi driver in New York City where the perceived decadence and sleaze feeds his urge for violent action, attempting to save a preadolescent prostitute in the process. Illustration by James Flames, a storyteller who uses illustration and printmaking to share tales of adventure and inner exploration. www.jamesflames.com
- TOMMY – Based on The Who’s rock opera and directed by Ken Russell, this extravaganza stars Roger Daltrey as a psychosomatically deaf, dumb and blind boy who becomes a master pinball player and the object of a religious cult because of that. Also starring are Ann-Margret, Oliver Reed, Elton John and Tina Turner. Illustration by Tom Whalen, whose recognizable graphic style can be found on a wide variety of album covers and screenprints, posters and comic books. www.strongstuff.net