Tatiana Maslany and Jay Duplass lead Tom Cullen‘s feature directorial debut, Pink Wall, as Jenna and Leon. The film takes a non-linear approach to combing through the details of their six-year relationship, covering the deep love, troubling complications and everything in between. It’s a strikingly naturalistic character piece that conveys a significant amount of history and emotion in a mere 85 minute run time. Pink Wall marks yet another great performance to add to Maslany and Duplass’ resumes, and a strong feature debut for Cullen as well.
With Pink Wall celebrating its big debut at SXSW 2019, I was lucky enough to get the chance to sit down with Cullen, Maslany and Duplass to talk about the improvisation-heavy rehearsal process, one of the most challenging days of the shoot, Maslany’s post-Orphan Black priorities, and loads more. You can catch it all in the video interview at the top of this article. There’s also a handy conversation breakdown provided below.
I’d also like to take a moment to give special thanks to our Collider Studio partner, A-List Communications. At the Supper Suite venue in Austin, libations were flowing courtesy of El Tesoro Tequila, Blue Moon Belgian White, and Hint Water. Without these fine folks, we wouldn’t be able to share conversations about movies like Pink Wall with all of you, so another big thank you to our partners for their support.
Tom Cullen, Tatiana Maslany, Jay Duplass:
- Cullen on what inspired him to jump into his directorial debut.
- The group discusses the improv-heavy prep process they used to create a big screen relationship with a significant amount of history.
- They shot the film in beard order. (Really.)
- Maslany on the lack of characters like Jenna in cinema.
- What drives Maslany to commit to a film; the importance of character and process.
- Does a big studio film appeal to Maslany?
- The trio paints a picture of what the set looked like while filming one of the most memorable and emotional scenes of the movie; the storm that threatened to derail their schedule.
- Environment challenges and the time Cullen fell into a bog.