This morning, Marvel Studios broke a lot of news during a presentation to press and VIPs. While we’ve covered the big announcements, we haven’t yet been able to actually see what was shown to the people in attendance. However, video has now surfaced of the short teaser announcement for Avengers: Infinity War Part I and Part II, which shows the villainous Thanos wielding the colorful Infinity Gauntlet—the key to his power that sets the Infinity War storyline into motion. Additionally, in a new press release Marvel has revealed a tiny bit about the two-part Infinity War event film, saying it’s “the culmination of everything that has come before.”
Hit the jump to watch the Thanos Infinity War video and to see what Marvel has to say about the films.
Essentially the only hard information that was revealed about Infinity War today is that the event will be the centerpiece of the third Avengers film, which is being split into two parts: Avengers: Infinity War Part I on May 4, 2018 and Avengers: Infinity War Part II on May 3, 2019. I offered a rundown of the comics history of this storyline and how it fits into the Marvel Cinematic Universe in my writeup on the films, but Marvel offered some tantalizing teases of its own at Marvel.com:
The Avengers have already triumphed over Loki, and next summer they’ll face Ultron…but nothing could prepare them for the menace of Thanos.
How big of a threat does Thanos pose, you ask? Big enough to span two epic films, beginning with Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War Part 1” on May 4, 2018, and concluding in Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War Part 2” on May 3, 2019 for one massive cinematic event.
“We’ve always had a plan since Nick Fury broke into Tony Stark’s house and told him he’s part of a bigger universe,” recalled Feige. “‘Avengers: Infinity War Part 1’ is the beginning of the culmination of everything that has come before.”
Hold onto your hats, True Believers, because Phase 3 of the Cinematic Universe is going to be one wild ride! Stay tuned to Marvel.com for the latest on the Avengers and the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as it develops!
Additionally, video has now surfaced from the presentation, which gives us a tease of Thanos and his Infinity Gauntlet. Watch below via /Film.
Catch up on our coverage of all of Marvel’s announcements below:
- Marvel Reveals Phase 3 Release Dates: BLACK PANTHER in 2017; CAPTAIN MARVEL in 2018; AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR in 2018 and 2019
- 42 Star Chadwick Boseman to Star in BLACK PANTHER; First Look at the Costume Revealed
- Two-Part AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Announced for May 2018 and May 2019
- THOR: RAGNAROK Set for Release on July 28, 2017; Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston Returning
- Kevin Feige Talks Details on CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, BLACK PANTHER, CAPTAIN MARVEL, INHUMANS, and More
- CAPTAIN MARVEL Movie Set for a July 6, 2018 Release
- Check Out Images from Today’s Marvel Event Featuring Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, and Chadwick Boseman