While fans were introduced to the new Barry Allen/Flash (Grant Gustin) during his guest spot on recent episodes of The CW’s Arrow, a whole new generation will meet the old Flash, in the form of John Wesley Shipp. Shipp’s role in the upcoming pilot of The Flash is being kept quiet, but it will likely be more than a simple nod to nostalgia since Shipp may land a recurring role if the pilot gets picked up to series. My guess? He’d be some sort of superior to Gustin’s Allen, who works as a Central City assistant police forensic investigator while moonlighting as a superheroic speedster after a lab accident. Hit the jump for more casting news for The Flash.
As the press release reports, Shipp will indeed guest star on The CW’s The Flash pilot. While he might be more recognizable to fans of Dawson’s Creek, Shipp played the lead role of the short-lived 1990s attempt of bringing Flash to the small screen. In addition to Gustin and Shipp, the new series will also feature “Tom Cavanagh as physics “rock star” Harrison Wells; Jesse L. Martin as Detective West; Candice Patton as West’s daughter and Barry’s love interest, Iris; Danielle Panabaker as Caitlin Snow, a bioengineering expert; and Rick Cosnett as Detective Eddie Thawne.” The report cites the role of Hartley Rathaway, which should be familiar to fans of The Flash comics, is the only main part yet to be cast.
- Network: The CW
- Auspices: Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television
- Format: One-hour drama
- Executive Producers: Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, David Nutter
- Co-Executive Producer: Melissa Kellner Berman
- Based upon characters published by DC Comics
- Writers: Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Geoff Johns
- Director: David Nutter
- Logline: Through a freak accident, scientist Barry Allen is given the power of super speed that transforms him into the Fastest Man Alive.
- Starring: Grant Gustin as Barry Allen, Candice Patton as Iris West, Rick Cosnett as Detective Eddie Thawne, Danielle Panabaker as Caitlin Snow, Carlos Valdes as Cisco Ramon, with Tom Cavanagh as Harrison Wells and Jesse L. Martin as Detective West
Check out the opening from Shipp’s The Flash series below: