The Toronto International Film Festival has announced the initial lineup of films playing in the Gala and Special Presentations sections for 2019, and it is packed. As some expected, Joker will be playing at TIFF, where the Todd Phillips film will have its North American premiere (likely after debuting at Venice). In terms of world premieres, TIFF 2019 has The Goldfinch, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Hustlers, and Harriet, as well as Taika Waititi’s Jojo Rabbit and Rian Johnson’s Knives Out.
As if that wasn’t enough, the festival will also play host to Steven Soderbergh’s new star-studded Netflix movie The Laundromat, the buzzworthy Michael B. Jordan drama Just Mercy, the new Safdie Brothers film Uncut Gems, and the Christian Bale–Matt Damon drama Ford v Ferrari. The closing night film has been announced as director Marjane Satraipi’s (The Voices) Marie Curie biopic Radioactive, starring Rosamund Pike.
This is an absolutely stacked lineup, even for TIFF, and I can’t wait to see these aforementioned films and many, many more. Of the Gala films announced today, 50% are directed or co-directed by women—a record for the programme.
TIFF is always a pretty significant waypoint on the road to the Oscar race, elevating the awards campaigns for films like Roma, The Shape of Water, and La La Land in past years. But beyond the Oscar aspect, TIFF is also just a great place to see great movies.
As always, you can expect Collider to be at this year’s TIFF in full force, so check back often throughout the festival for reviews, interviews, awards coverage, and much more.
Check out the TIFF 2019 Gala and Special Presentations lineup below. The 44th Toronto International Film Festival runs from September 5-15th.
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Marielle Heller | USA (World Premiere)
- Abominable Jill Culton | USA(World Premiere)
- American Woman Semi Chellas | Canada (Canadian Premiere)
- Blackbird Roger Michell | United Kingdom (World Premiere)
- Clemency Chinonye Chukwu | USA (International Premiere)
- Ford v Ferrari James Mangold | USA (Canadian Premiere)
- The Goldfinch John Crowley | USA (World Premiere)
- Harriet Kasi Lemmons | USA (World Premiere)
Hustlers Lorene Scafaria | USA (World Premiere)
- Joker Todd Phillips | USA (North American Premiere)
- Just Mercy Destin Daniel Cretton | USA (World Premiere) *Opening Night Film*
- Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson and The Band Daniel Roher | Canada (World Premiere)
- Ordinary Love Lisa Barros D’Sa, Glenn Leyburn | United Kingdom (World Premiere) *Closing Night Film*
- Radioactive Marjane Satrapi | United Kingdom (World Premiere)
- The Sky Is Pink Shonali Bose | India (World Premiere)
- The Song of Names François Girard | Canada (World Premiere)
- True History of the Kelly Gang Justin Kurzel | Australia (World Premiere)
- Western Stars Thom Zimny, Bruce Springsteen | USA (World Premiere)