The TV ratings for Tuesday, September 22nd are in — here are some of the highlights (also it’s worth remembering that live ratings are only part of the series pickup story — delayed and online viewing numbers are playing more and more of a role moving forward):
- On NBC at 8 p.m., The Voice dropped slightly in the key 18-49 demographic to a 3.4 rating and 12.1 million viewers, but it still helped NBC win the night in the ratings race.
- The debut of The Muppets on ABC kicked-off with a healthy 2.8 rating and 8.91 million viewers. For ABC, it’s a triumph — those numbers are a 2-year ratings high for the network in its oft-troubled Tuesday time slot. You can read my take on The Muppets‘ first few episodes here.
- The season premiere of NCIS on CBS was down from a 2.9 rating last year to a 2.4 this year, but pulled 17.68 million viewers (helping CBS win the night with viewers overall).
Fox’s highly anticipated Ryan Murphy project Scream Queens has started off with a paltry 1.7 rating and 4 million viewers for its 2-hour premiere, but it’s up against stiff live competition, and could adjust up with DV-R views (like many of these shows during the fall onslaught). Read Perri’s glowing review here.
- At 8:30 p.m., the Season 2 premiere of Fresh Off the Boat started off with a 1.9 rating, which is down from its series premiere 2.5 last mid-season. However, it’s also better than its Season 1 finale rating of a 1.5, so lots to consider. It hauled in 6.07 million viewers, as well. You can read my thoughts on the premiere and the series here.
- CBS’s NCIS: New Orleans, which did ok last year, is doing ok again this year with its premiere, garnering a 1.7 rating and a healthy 12.49 million viewers at 9 p.m.
- ABC’s Dancing with the Stars pulled in a 1.5 rating and 9.5 million viewers at 9 p.m., while NBC’s Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris bumped up to a 2.2 rating and 6.17 million viewers at 10 p.m.
- Also at 10 p.m., the premiere of the new CBS series Limitless brought in a fine 1.8 rating and 9.8 million viewers. You can read my take on its pilot episode here.