Though it took me a few episodes to really get into it, Netfix’s Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was one of last year’s best and weirdest comedies, featuring breakout performances not just from its lead, Ellie Kemper, but from Tituss Burgess, whose take on Pinot Noir will never allow you to look at that wine again the same way.
Season 2 of the Tina Fey and Robert Carlock-created series seems, so far, like it may be pushing the boundaries of weirdness even further than before. Remember the early episodes of 30 Rock, the ones with Rachel Dratch‘s character who was often a non sequitur hallucination? I think that’s where things are headed here (if they aren’t there already, let’s be real).
The show, which has already been renewed for a third season, will also feature an expanded roster of guest stars this year. Usually this makes me wary, but this particular group seems pretty amazing. Per Netflix,
- Fred Armisen plays Bobby , a former flame of Lillian’s.
- Anna Camp plays Deirdre Robespierre, Princeton-educated trophy wife, queen of New York society, and a rival to Jacqueline Voorhees.
- Amy Sedaris again plays Mimi Kanassis, one of Jacqueline’s society friends.
- Zosia Mamet and Evan Jonigkeit play Sue and Bob Thompstein, an Austin hipster couple.
- Jeff Goldblum plays talk show host Dr. Dave, who takes an interest in the story of the Mole Women.
- David Cross plays Russ Snyder, attorney for the Jewish Art Reclamation Project.
- Tina Fey plays therapist Andrea Bayden.
The robot I’m not 100% sure about. But I can’t wait. All 13 episodes of the new series will be available on Netflix Friday, April 15th. Check out all of the new character images below, along with the synopsis and final trailer:
Here’s the official synopsis for Season 2:
Season 2 of the Emmy-nominated series picks up shortly after Season 1 and finds Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) looking for a new job, Titus (Tituss Burgess) forced to face his past with the appearance of his ex-wife and Jacqueline (Jane Krakowski) rediscovering her roots, while landlady Lillian (Carol Kane) finds a surprising romance