With Josh and Benny Safdie’s intense crime thriller, Uncut Gems, opening around the country on Christmas Day, it’s finally time to post my interview with Adam Sandler, Lakeith Stanfield, Idina Menzel and Julia Fox that was done at this year’s Toronto International Film Festival. As you’ve seen in the trailers, Sandler stars as a charismatic New York City jeweler that’s always on the ropes but might have finally hit the score of a lifetime. As he attempts to lock it down, he’s dealing with owing a lot of people money, keeping his business afloat, and not losing his family due to cheating on his wife. It’s an intense high-wire act that Sandler plays to perfection. Uncut Gems also stars Kevin Garnett, Eric Bogosian, Judd Hirsch and The Weeknd.
During the interview, Sandler, Stanfield, Menzel and Fox talked about their reaction reading the script for the first time, how the Safdie brothers operate on set, why they called Benny Safdie Benny Boom, what surprised them about working with Kevin Garnett, and Sandler talks about why he wanted to be part of this project.
Check out what they had to say in the player above and below is exactly what we talked about.
Adam Sandler, Lakeith Stanfield, Idina Menzel and Julia Fox:
- What was it like reading the script for the first time and how did the script describe the manic energy of the film?
- Can they watch themselves on screen?
- Sandler talks about meeting Benny and Josh Safdie for the first time and why he wanted to be part of the film.
- How do Benny and Josh Safdie direct on set and do each of them do certain things?
- Who ruined the most takes and why?
- Did a lot of people want to visit the set because of Kevin Garnett?
- What was it like working with Kevin Garnett?