On this episode of the Saturday Mourning Cartoons podcast, Sean Paul Ellis and Dave Trumbore review the impressively animated series Undone, available on Amazon. Co-created by Raphael Bob-Waksberg and Kate Purdy (BoJack Horseman), and led by Rosa Salazar (Alita) and Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul), the talented cast and creative team deliver something akin to an animated Fleabag. Minnow Mountain, the masters of Rotoscoping, bring the animation technology further into the 21st century in order to capture the cast’s incredible performances in stunning detail. It’s a technique that blends the real and the surreal, and it has to be seen to be truly appreciated.
Since there is some tough thematic material present in Undone we want to provide audiences with the appropriate warnings, both before watching the show itself or listening to our review of it. There are elements dealing with self harm, suicide, the loss of a parent, and dealing with mental illness. If these are difficult or triggering issues for you, you might want to avoid the show and our review. Additionally, we’ve provided info for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: You can find the website by clicking here or call 1-800-273-8255
Here’s the official synopsis for Undone:
UNDONE is a half-hour, genre-bending, animated dramedy that explores the elastic nature of reality through its central character, Alma, a twenty-eight-year-old living in San Antonio, Texas. After getting into a car accident and nearly dying, Alma finds she has a new relationship to time. She develops this new ability in order to find out the truth about her father’s death.
If you’re new to our podcast audience, Saturday Mourning Cartoons is a part of the Collider Factory podcast network under the curated Collider Weekly list. If you want to support the podcast, and help us to bring original animation into the world, you can do so at our Patreon page and by subscribing on YouTube. You can find all of our previous and continuing episodes on Podbean, iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, or your favorite iOS or Android app.
And if you have any animated movie or TV related questions for us, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, suggest a title to review here, or even call us at the cartoon hotline: 202-681-4406. You can also contact us through Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, or reach out directly @DrClawMD and @seanpaulellis.
For more of our previous episodes, be sure to take a look at the links below:
- ‘Robot Chicken’ Season 10 Review & Seth Green Interview | Saturday Mourning Cartoons
- ‘The Last Kids on Earth’ Review & Nick Wolfhard Interview | Saturday Mourning Cartoons Podcast
- Saturday Mourning Cartoons Interview with Brendan Bradley, Creator of ‘Baby X’ & ‘Baby S’
- ‘Steven Universe: The Movie’ Review | Saturday Mourning Cartoons Podcast
- Listener Suggestion: ‘Kissyfur’ Review | Saturday Mourning Cartoons Podcast
- ‘Invader ZIM: Enter the Florpus’ Review | Saturday Mourning Cartoons Podcast
- ‘Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling’ Review & Joe Murray Interview | Saturday Mourning Cartoons Podcast
- ‘She-Ra’ Creator Noelle Stevenson on Season 3 | Saturday Mourning Cartoons Podcast
- Saturday Mourning Cartoons Podcast: ‘Batman: Hush’ Review, Now with Bat-Spoilers