One of the best shows to debut on Netflix in 2016 was the animated sci-fi adventure series, Voltron Legendary Defender. The creative team behind the scenes did a fantastic job at bringing the iconic multi-part robot to life while also bringing its mythology, and that of its five (give or take) paladins, into a modern storytelling setting. The first season’s compelling story introduced the five heroes to old and new Voltron fans alike, setting them all on the path to defeating Emperor Zarkon (Neil Kaplan) and defending the universe. Breath-taking animation, humorous and heartfelt writing, and fantastic voice acting made DreamWorks Animation’s Voltron Legendary Defender a standout on Netflix this year.
And before the year is out, we’ll be getting more of it! The second season of the new Voltron series will air on Netflix later this year, continuing the teamwork-in-progress of the members of the Voltron Force and presumably seeing them deal with the huge twist revealed at the end of Season 1. It’s already one of my most anticipated series’ returns of the year!
The Voltron Legendary Defender creative team of executive producer Joaquim Dos Santos, co-executive producer Lauren Montgomery, and writer Tim Hedrick announced the Season 2 renewal over social media and during their Comic-Con panel before releasing a new image and poster for the upcoming season. Take a look at all of that below:
The following cast members will also be returning:
- Princess Allura – Kimberly Brooks (Ben 10: Omniverse, Justice League: War)
- Coran – Rhys Darby (What We Do in the Shadows, Flight of the Concords)
- Shiro, Black Lion – Josh Keaton (Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Transformers Prime)
- Hunk, Yellow Lion – Tyler Labine (Reaper, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil)
- Lance, Blue Lion – Jeremy Shada (Finn in Adventure Time, Batman: The Brave and the Bold)
- Pidge, Green Lion – Bex Taylor-Klaus (Arrow, Scream: The Series, iZombie)
- Keith, Red Lion – Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead, The Legend of Korra)