The weekly TV ratings for Sunday, June 21st through Thursday, June 25th are in; here are some of the highlights:
- HBO’s new Sunday bloc brought in big numbers for the premium network, with True Detective’s Season 2 premiere averaging about 3.2 million viewers over the course of the night (a 40 percent jump over the first season’s premiere, though not as high as the first season’s finale). However, the show’s numbers are likely to grow even bigger once reruns, DVR, HBO Go and on-demand viewings are taken into account).
- A few new reality shows also on Sunday night made a splash for ABC, like the premiere of Celebrity Family Feud at 8 p.m., which earned a strong 2.4 rating in the key 18-49 demographic, and notched 8.53 million viewers. The series premiere of the rebooted BattleBots lost some of those numbers, but still performed well with a 1.9 rating and 5.39 million viewers at 9 p.m.
- The finale of NBC’s A.D.: The Bible Continues closed its season at 9 p.m. with steady numbers: a 0.7 rating and 3.49 million viewers. American Odyssey, also on the peacock network, matched its series low 0.4 rating and 2.23 million viewers at 10 p.m.
- Monday night on NBC, American Ninja Warrior dropped 14 percent to a 1.8 rating and 6.03 million viewers at 8 p.m., which may have been affected by The Bachelorette’s rise on ABC to a 2.0 rating and 6.64 million viewers, who turned in to see Kaitlyn Bristowe have sex and feel conflicted about it.
The Whispers on ABC at 10 p.m. notched up a tenth to a 1.0 rating and 4 million viewers, not exactly making it a hit so far.
- The Tuesday reality ratings had American’s Got Talent rising two tenths to a 2.5 rating and 10.87 million viewers on NBC at 8 p.m., while Fox’s Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? dropped 13 percent to a 0.7 rating and 2.59 million viewers. Extreme Weight Loss at 9 p.m. on ABC also suffered losses of 13 percent to a 0.7 rating and 2.23 million viewers.
- The season premiere of Big Brother on CBS Wednesday at 8 p.m. was down 13 perfect (lucky number 13 this week) from last year’s premiere (making that its lowest rated premiere ever, though it still won the 8 p.m. hour).
- The finale of The Briefcase at 9 p.m. on CBS stayed steady at a 0.9 rating and 4.67 million viewers, while Celebrity Wife Swap continues to rise on ABC at 10 p.m. to a 0.9 and 3.14 viewers — a 13 percent (!) increase.
- In the wake of the announcement that Hannibal will end on NBC when this season concludes, the show’s most recent episode Thursday night at 10 p.m. slipped to a new low of a 0.4 rating and 1.6 million viewers.
Aquarius at 9 p.m., which NBC did renew, slipped to a new low with a 0.6 rating and 3.22 million viewers, while ABC’s Mistresses was also down 22 percent from last week’s premiere, to a 0.7 rating and 3.31 million viewers. The Astronaut Wives Club at 8 p.m. on ABC also took a dive from last week’s premiere, dropping 27 percent to a 0.8 rating and 4.5 million viewers. And the season premiere of Rookie Blue on ABC at 10 p.m. was down 45 percent from last season’s premiere, notching a 0.6 rating and 3.71 million viewers.
- Despite all of that, Wayward Pines on Fox at 9 p.m. Thursday stayed steady with last week’s 1.2 rating and 3.36 million viewers.